Friday 4 December 2015

Donkey Kong Country (1994)


Well since I've been playing it a bit this week, why not?

Well the first thing I suppose anybody remembers about Donkey Kong Country is the graphics. Absolutely groundbreaking at the time, it was an incredible game to be released on the SNES just as the Playstation was soon to be released and 3D games were about to become the norm. But what certainly stood Donkey Kong Country apart from so many games that were graphically groundbreaking...it was a damn good game too.


Taking on one of the world bosses for the banana hoard!

Simple concept, Donkey Kong's banana hoard has been raided by King K. Rool and his army of Kremlings, so he and Diddy Kong have to go and get them back. Easy as that. The characters look good, there is an excellent mix of enemies, from the stumbling and jumping Kremlings, and all their various incarnations, to flying vultures and numerous aquatic enemies. There are plenty of allies to help you on the way too, some of whom in the form of animal 'helpers' like Rambi and Rhino who can bash through walls, and Enguarde the swordfish on the water levels. There are also the other Kongs, like Cranky who gives some pretty veiled advice, Candy who can save your game, and Funky who can switch you back to previous levels. The hidden bonus rooms also added to the fun, with numerous little games to win you extra lives or other bonuses.


Making use of one of the animal allies in an underwater level

The graphics certainly help add to the experience, as the game and it's backgrounds are absolutely beautiful, and the movement of the characters and their moves are seamless all over. What always struck me as better though is the music. It was the first game I ever played that had 'real' background music, rather than the tinny MIDI-esque stuff that was on everything else at the time. Dont get me wrong, I love all the old tunes, but to be playing a game with beautifully detailed 3D landscapes and with real music was mindblowing to my little 9 year old brain! The first time I got to a water level especially, I remember it looking and sounding totally jawdropping! Then there is the snow level where the blizzard gets progressively worse as you travel through the level, two minecart levels, and the factory level where the lights keep on going out! The game just showcases so much in terms of what looks good, but it never detracts from the game, just makes it even better!


The blizzard closes in on one of the snowy levels!

As I said at the very beginning, despite the fact I've played and completed the game so many times over the last 21 years, I still love playing it, and still find little things I've never found before! While you can never recreate that open mouthed wonder of playing a game for the first time, this is one that always takes me back to my childhood.

Donkey Kong Country, released in 1994 on Super Nintendo

No comments:

Post a Comment